Home Forum topic Propagation, Germination Testing, & Horticulture What kind of germination/growth chamber do folks recommend for seed viability testing?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Heather SchneiderCPC Conservation Officer

Our growth chamber broke recently and we’re hoping to replace it with something cost-affordable, reliable and not too big for our relatively small space. It will sit in a room shared with seed processing equipment (and people), a biomass oven and is used with some frequency.

Michael KunzCPC Conservation Officer

We have a Percival unit, technically an incubator.  High flexibility in program options and runs reliable with high use.  Ours is a double stacked unit, about the size of a fridge/freezer, but they sell single/half units.  Only complaint is it is in a work space and produces some noise.

Sabine WintergerstCPC Conservation Officer

We also have a Percival incubator (a single unit) and we are also very happy with it. It is around 15 years old and still works very well. Since we only have a single unit space can become a problem but besides that we have no complaints.

Meg EngelhardtCPC Conservation Officer

Percivals at MoBot as well. I’m curious to know if there are any less expensive options.

Heather SchneiderCPC Conservation Officer

Thanks, everyone! It sounds like Pervical is quite popular and I saw that’s what they had a Chicago on our tour last week, too. San Diego Zoo told me that they use an Achieva Basic Console Germinator from Seedburo. The quote I got from them is ~$11,000. Is that in line with what you all paid for Percival? It’s been so long since we bought one here that no one here remembers what we paid for the old one and shopping around is always helpful. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.