Committed to the conservation of rare and imperiled plants, the Center for Plant Conservation seeks enthusiastic collaborators to grow with us and help advance our mission. With our National Office team and network of Conservation Partners, we save more plant species together than would ever be possible alone.
Interested in fellowship & internship opportunities? Learn more.
Scroll on to view open positions.
The Center for Plant Conservation (CPC) is a one-of-a-kind network that unites leading plant conservationists from botanical gardens, arboretums, and other plant- and conservation-focused organizations to work collaboratively to save imperiled plants throughout their native range in the United States and internationally.
CPC seeks an Administrative Specialist to provide vital support for our rapidly growing organization. The Administrative Specialist provides administrative support to the CPC staff and Board of Trustees while handling a wide variety of complex administrative duties including event planning, financial monitoring, and assisting with accounts payable/receivable. The Administrative Specialist is a first point of contact with the public responding to general inquiries or directing communications to other staff as appropriate. This position reports to the President & CEO of the Center for Plant Conservation.
The Ideal Candidate
If you color code your calendar and take pride in never missing an email, then this might be the opportunity for you to flex your skills.
We are looking for someone who is organized, efficient and takes being on top of tasks seriously. Our ideal candidate takes initiative and ownership over their job duties. Someone who is eager to learn will be a good fit for our organization. We are a small team so a positive demeanor and sense of humor are key.
- Provides administrative support for CPC’s CEO, CPC staff, and the CPC Board of Trustees
- Meeting scheduling and circulation of meeting agendas
- Drafting of official meeting minutes
- Electronic document filing
- Management of CPC phones and public email
- Maintenance of web-based contact directory and repository of Board documents
- Research, order, and stock office and specialized supplies
- Assists with day-to-day financial operations
- Enters information for accounts receivable and accounts payable, including proper coding within provided guidelines
- Coordinates, prepares, and assists with monitoring budget(s) as assigned
- Develops office and specialized procedures, files, and systems as required
- Composes complex and sensitive correspondence and documents
- Interprets and implements accounting best practices in collaboration with CEO and accountants
- Plans CPC Board of Trustees meetings and CPC National Meetings
- Negotiates contracts for hotels, caterers, and shuttles at upscale venues
- Travels to sites of three (3) Board of Trustees meetings per year (located at member gardens across North America), including one which coincides with the annual CPC National Meeting. Total travel time would be 2-3 weeks or 5% of time.
- Makes travel and accommodation arrangements for staff and visitors
- Arranges itineraries, tours, meals, and meetings as required
- Works effectively independently and is responsible for managing their own responsibilities without constant supervision
- Coordinates departmental/office activities, services, and facilities with contractors, vendors, governmental agencies, other departments and organizations, and the public; may obtain bids and negotiate fees and contracts as assigned
- Serves as host for important guests.
- Reviews and distributes mail.
- Serves as safety officer for CPC.
- May serve as department computer resource.
- May conduct site inspections as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent 4-year college degree required
- Minimum 2 years administrative experience required
- Experience with budgeting and recordkeeping highly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Experience interacting with a nonprofit board of trustees preferred
- Experience with word processing, spreadsheets and mail merging systems
- Compose complex correspondence and reports
- Develop office and specialized procedures, files, and systems
- Comfort with learning new web-based systems
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others
- Strong attention to detail/proof-reading skills
Salary, Schedule, and Benefits
- This is a full-time/exempt position
- Salary range: $67,000-$71,000 (annual salary) commensurate based on experience
- Hybrid work schedule: After a three-week onsite training period, remote work permitted based on organization needs
- The CPC National Office is headquartered at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in Escondido, California, in partnership with the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, a CPC Participating Institution.
- General work hours are Monday – Friday 8-5 PM with occasional flexible scheduling available.
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance available through San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance benefit program
- 403B retirement plan with employer match up to 5%
How To Apply
Please send resumes and cover letters to Dr. Katie Heineman (email@example.com) with “Administrative Specialist” in the subject line.