Home Forum topic Conventional Seed Banking Seed bank freezer recommendations

Tagged: ,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Heather SchneiderCPC Conservation Officer

The compressor on one of our chest freezers died this week and I’m in the market for at least one new seed bank freezer. I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have a chest freezer that they love and would recommend?

2. What are folks’ experience with upright freezers? I know a few people have said that chest freezers are better, but we are space limited and I’m wondering whether there have been any recent improvements in upright freezers recently.

We are at the point of needing to expand our freezer capacity, so I am probably going to need to purchase 2 freezers within the next year or less. Thank you!

Steve BlackwellCPC Conservation Officer

Hi Heather,

We actually have two upright Atosa commercial freezers that I like. I had a compressor issue with the 5-year old one but it was eventually fixed even though our normal technician wasn’t familiar with the brand and had some trouble getting the right part. Atosa has good customer service though and will answer any questions you have and walk you through the use of the keypad if you need help. The one I got most recently was $4,480 from Amazon (yeah I know…yuck). Here is the link to the model we have. It is 64.9 cu ft. I like upright freezers because it makes things easier to get to and I feel that them being vertical is a better use of space. I hope this helps!

All the best,

Steve Blackwell

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much! Those look great. Have you had any issues with frost? I had been told previously that the uprights frosted more than chest freezers because more cold air leaks out when you open the door, but your freezers look pristine! I appreciate your response!

Cheers,

Heather

Steve BlackwellCPC Conservation Officer

Sure thing, happy to help! I’ve never had any frost build up or issues with frost at all.

That’s incredible!

Does anyone have a chest freezer that they particularly like?

Katie HeinemanCPC Conservation Officer

@stacy-anderson

@christa-horn

Did we recently buy a chest freezer for the seed bank?

Holly ForbesCPC Conservation Officer

Heather–did you end up buying a freezer you like?  Upright or chest?  Anyone else buy a freezer recently?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Holly,

We bought an Atosa upright freezer (2-doors, bottom vent) and so far it’s working really well for us. We are very space limited and with some reorganization, it should hold a little more than our chest freezer did but with a slightly smaller footprint. We got the middle unit on the attached info page. We did have some problems with the shipping and the first unit that was delivered was damaged, but Atosa’s customer service got us a new unit really quickly, so it all worked out in the end.

Attachments:
    Colin KhouryCPC Conservation Officer

Hello friends. Following this thread with interest as we will soon buy a freezer. I followed the Atosa idea (as per SBBG’s rec’s); Atosa don’t sell directly so they recommended a couple of local restaurant supply dealers here in San Diego. Spoke with one that said that there’s another brand, Dukers, which he thinks is a bit better quality and also a bit cheaper. This sort of thing:

D28AF Commercial Single Door Top Mount Freezer in Stainless Steel

D55AF Commercial 2-Door Top Mount Freezer in Stainless Steel

Couple of further questions-

1) the general spec on the Dukers is that its auto-defrosting. I sort of understand that that is NOT good to have for a conservation freezer because it warms things up a bit, occasionally. I can’t see anything about whether manual or auto-defrosting with the Atosa’s…does anyone know what they are or if one can choose? I havent checked yet if one can choose manual for the Dukers.

2) top or bottom mount for compressor? would love to know opinions…seems one can choose either, with any of these products.

3) fyi I also asked Geneva scientific about their options…they have some chest freezers but also a standup, which is a bit smaller than the restaurant supply types, and certainly less flashy, but seems a very good price…attaching here  the options from Geneva for your interest and happy for any thoughts/guidance. Thanks!

Attachments:
    Holly ForbesCPC Conservation Officer

Hi Colin,

We are taking delivery on an Atosa freezer (three doors, top mounted compressor) soon.  The included service contract is with Smart Kitchen Service.  Tech support at Smart Kitchen (800-683-8660, ask for Greg) informed me that they can set up the defrost cycle to run for just one minute per day (but cannot turn it off entirely). This seems akin to opening the door to place or retrieve seeds.

Colin KhouryCPC Conservation Officer

Thanks Holly! Very helpful.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.