June 11, 2021 at 8:57 am #9393Center for Plant ConservationSubscriber
The USDA Forest Service is planning to fill a permanent position for a Biologist at the National Seed Laboratory, GS-0401-09/11. The position will be advertised on USAJOBS soon.
A description of the duties, point of contact, and an outreach reply form for the position are provided. If you are interested in this opportunity, please return the reply form by June 18, 2021 to Victor Vankus, Director, National Seed Laboratory, firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is located at the National Seed Laboratory (NSL) in Dry Branch, Georgia. The NSL is part of the USFS Southern Region Cooperative Forestry unit. The incumbent serves as the laboratory supervisor and lead seed analyst at the NSL. Primary responsibilities of the NSL are to provide seed testing services, seed technology assistance, and ex situ germplasm preservation of trees, shrubs, and native plants. The work is service oriented serving clients and partners in federal and state agencies, commercial forest industry, non-governmental organizations, private landowners, and others involved in reforestation, restoration, and conservation efforts in the US.
The incumbent will:
· Plan, coordinate, and conduct seed tests (germination, purity, tetrazolium, moisture content, etc.) on tree, shrub, and native species seed samples to determine seed quality.
· Initiate studies to develop and improve protocols for seed processing, testing, storage, and management. Participate in technical projects sponsored by the professional seed testing organizations.
· Provide technical guidance on seed collection, production, processing, storage, sampling, testing, and germination through individual training, workshops, presentations, and other written formats.
· Manage the NSL Quality Management System developing standard operating procedures, monitoring laboratory operations, and other measures to ensure compliance with accrediting body standards.
· Responsible for maintaining the NSL Safety and Health Plan. Applies the agencies Operational Risk Management process to identify and mitigate risks associated with laboratory operations.
· Requisition supplies and maintenance services to ensure laboratory operations are not interrupted while remaining within budget constraints.
· Directly supervise two or more team members.
Duty Location: Dry Branch, GA
About the Forest Service: Our mission is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the nation’s forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations. http://www.fs.usda.gov/
About the Southern Region: Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, the Southern Region manages 13.3 million acres of public lands in 13 states http://www.fs.usda.gov/r8/
Area Information: Dry Branch is part of the Macon metropolitan area in Central Georgia. For information on the community please visit: maconga.org
For further information on this position, please contact:
Director of the National Seed Laboratory
(478) 751-6656 E-mail: email@example.com
Note: Federal job applications have specific requirements for inclusion in the application itself and attachments. For helpful tips on applying for a federal position, please visit these links.
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.