Home Forum topic Conventional Seed Banking Heat sealer recommendations?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Heather SchneiderCPC Conservation Officer

Our heat sealer is on its way out and I’m looking into new ones. The Haconas look nice, but cost a small fortune. Does anyone have one that they really like that’s reliable? We’ve typically had the home-use type that vacuum and heat seal and are pretty affordable, but it seems like they might not be up to the task of sealing a lot of bags in a short amount of time, nor do they appear to have great longevity. If the Hacona works well and will last >5 years, then I’m willing to spend the money, but I want to know that it’s a worthwhile investment.

Thanks!

Katie HeinemanCPC Conservation Officer

Stacy Anderson & I chatted about this on Friday – her answer “We began sealing our collections with a standard household iron before purchasing a sleek Hacona.  I’ve been using the same iron for 15+ years as backup.  The benefit of the Hacona is a quicker clean seal – we’ve had it since 2014 and works great but with somewhat light usage.”

Meg EngelhardtCPC Conservation Officer

At MBG we have been using a double impulse hand sealer from American International Electric since 2012 with no problems. I believe this is the model we have (12 inches, 10mm seal): https://www.americaninternationalelectricsealersupply.com/12_Double_Impluse_Hand_Sealer_10mm__222

Steve BlackwellCPC Conservation Officer

We use an impulse sealer and it works really well. https://www.amazon.com/American-International-Electric-AIE-300-Exceptional/dp/B0093OVOU4. (Sure beats the ratty old iron we used to have). They produce a nice straight seal and are relatively cheap too.

Jane WilsonCPC Conservation Officer

I understand the importance of having a reliable heat sealer for your conservation work. The Hacona is indeed a quality option, but it can be quite an investment. Ultimately, the choice depends on your specific needs and budget.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.