Home Forum topic Conventional Seed Banking Germination Chamber Recommendations?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Katie HeinemanCPC Conservation Officer

Members of the California plant rescue team have been discussing options for germination chambers for rare seed curation testing (cc: @cheryl-birker; @clare-loughran; @lucy-ferneyhough). Does anyone have chambers they would recommend that have served them well? (Or chambers they would recommend against that have served poorly?)

Steve BlackwellCPC Conservation Officer

Hi Katie, We got a Percival GR-36L last year and I love it. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles which is how I was able to keep the cost down but it works perfectly for my needs. I’ve attached our quote here so they can see the specs on it.

Steve BlackwellCPC Conservation Officer

I guess the file size was too big. I’ll email it to you directly, Katie

Katie HeinemanCPC Conservation Officer

Here is a link to @steven-blackwell‘s quote! Thanks for helping me look for bugs y’all. I’ll try to see if we can upload reasonable sized things in the future.

Cheryl BirkerCPC Conservation Officer

Thank you, @steven-blackwell for your quick response! I believe the Percival GR-36VL is also the unit that UC Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara Botanic Garden have. It looks like a CPC favorite is emerging! We have an older germination chamber at California Botanic Garden that won’t last forever, so we’re looking ahead for recommendations when the time comes. It’s good to hear your new unit is working out well!

Meg EngelhardtCPC Conservation Officer

We just bought 2 Percival Incubator I-22VL. You get two chambers stacked on top of each other in the same footprint as the I-36. This has been very helpful for germ testing since we often need various temp regimes. We also have several 1-36VLs that we’ve had for years and still work great.

Alexandra SegliasCPC Conservation Officer

At Denver BG, we have two Percival incubators – I36 and I41, which have worked well for us.

Clare LoughranCPC Conservation Officer

Awesome!  Does anybody have any opinions on which addons might be worth getting? The website for for the Percival incubators shows the following as optional:

Additive Humidity Control with Sensor
    Dehumidifier with Sensor
    IntellusUltra Connect
    Android-Based Touch Screen
    CO2 Enrichment Package
    Self-Contained Water-Cooled Condensing Unit
    Dry Alarm Contacts
    Dimmable Lighting
    LED Lighting in Lieu of Fluorescent Lamps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.