Home Forum topic Conventional Seed Banking Where to backup non-National Collection species?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David RemucalCPC Conservation Officer

I apologize if this is a double post, but there seems to have been some kind of error and I can’t find the original post anymore. It looks like there may be some kind of internal error going on with the Rare Plant Academy at the moment so I’ll try again.

We are going to be banking much more seed for a wider stakeholder base. We’ll be banking seed from a much a broader set of species, many of which are locally/regionally of interest but may be nationally/globally considered secure and so aren’t in the CPC National Collection and will fall outside of the National Collection backup agreement. We’d still like to backup the collections, but without being able to do it at NLGRP, I’m not sure what other options might be. What are folks doing to backup their seeds that fall outside of the National Collection agreement?

Katie HeinemanCPC Conservation Officer

Hi David,

We’re in the middle of a website migration, so we’re missing some of the forum topics that happened between our initial migration and now :). Sorry that your topic is caught in the middle.

First, you are more than welcome to submit your seeds to NLGRP if it is a species of local or regional rare species of conservation interest. CPC would consider that a valid use of the agreement. Maybe contact Lisa Hill at NLGRP to be sure. I’ll email you her contact info.

Alternatively, you could contact regional seed banks in your area. Specifically, maybe Chicago Botanic Garden, Missouri Botanic Garden, or other CPC institutions with large working banks would potentially be interested in holding back up seed.

Katie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.